Busy, busy

20141118-095859.jpg

When the cat’s away, the mouse will play!

Tim’s off hiking in the Grand Canyon and I’ve been tackling mounds of projects. My woven cloak is finished and shipped. I kept dark fur for the collar. I wove straps, with the hope of including a wolf and falcon, but the pattern didn’t turn out as expected. Ah well.

20141118-100226.jpg

But they are still pretty. I sewed 2 D-rings for the closure and they snug up well.

20141118-102626.jpg

Several baby gifts left the premises. I made another back zip sweater and a couple of hats for the older siblings.

20141118-100403.jpg

20141118-100410.jpg

20141118-100418.jpg

20141118-100447.jpg

These blankets went off to swaddle a new set of twins.

20141118-101556.jpg

20141118-101543.jpg

I marbleized the wall behind the wood stove because it was all marked up. It was a fun process and I felt very creative.

20141118-100634.jpg

I’m pretty happy with it. I’ll see what the man of the house thinks.

Best of all, I know my hiking spouse is safe because he is traveling with a SPOT, which is like a personal EPIRB. I received a message Saturday night that he was fine and linked to a map which showed me where he was.

20141118-102509.jpg

Better tidy up before he gets home.

Memory warp

20141112-074239.jpg

It’s been a while since I have used cards for weaving. I want to weave the cloak’s straps with a personal message, and add wolves and falcons. So far two bands done and no finished product. It takes time to get the routine back.

The first strap hit the trash due to too many twisted threads. The second is OK but a little short so I am going to make it into a belt instead.

Third time is a charm – I hope. There was little tangling at the beginning but I am remembering the technique. Let the games begin. My first wolf sigil is elongated so I’ve decided to incorporate several as an evolution (mostly in me figuring out how the picture translates to tablet weaving). There will be wolves, falcons and words. We’ll see…

The cloak has some design issues but what else is new. I love using my woven product as fabric. I’ve touched every thread multiple times. After I took it off the loom, I tried my best at waulking, to mildly felt it.

I stabilized where I wanted to cut with a zig zag stitch.

20141110-081427.jpg

Then hand stitched the selvedges together. It ‘s long enough but not quite wide enough.

20141110-081557.jpg

20141110-081604.jpg

I used my freecycle serger to cut and stabilize the edges and it worked like a charm. I felted the larger pieces and already made a new needle holder. The rest will get tucked in my winter boots for an added layer of warmth.

I am not sure about my choice of fur for the neck but I found some lambswool that may look better. The dark may look too fake but the lambs wool is really a cover for my acupuncture table. I would miss it. Either one will provide a nice soft cover over the wool at the neck.

20141110-195436.jpg

20141110-195441.jpg

Two wrongs make a right?

Just maybe. I am weaving material to make a cloak for a couple who plan a medieval style wedding. How medieval? They were dismayed when they learned falcons and wolves couldn’t partake in the ceremony. But a broad sword, made by the groom for his bride, will be featured.

So a cloak. I figure it can continue its life as a throw to keep them warm in their castle. I sampled a few patterns on my new-to-me table loom.

20141104-100407.jpg
What a dream. No loom waste, a little finicky to thread, as I try to get used to Texsolv heddles, but so fast to test several patterns and treadling. I chose a broken twill pattern woven in wool I had acquired from a local weaver’s destash.

I calculated my yardage for the long warp based upon the sett (spacing) I used on the table loom. My plan was to use a warp five yards long and have it 32″ wide in the loom. Well, despite weighing my yarn on a postal scale and estimating I had enough for my planned warp, I didn’t, and only had enough for a 20″ wide fabric because 1) I miscalculated; and 2) used different spacing on my floor loom – oops. But… I think I also measured a longer warp than planned so may have more than five yards, which should all work out in the end.

I’ve finished weaving three yards and hopefully more than two to go.

20141104-100712.jpg

20141104-100706.jpg